This post contains affiliate links, which means I may earn a commission when you purchase through my links, at no added cost to you!
Warm up your cold nights with this Instant Pot Lentils Chili with Mushrooms. With just the right amount of spice, this is a delicious quick meal idea for busy days.
If you love cooking but don’t want to spend a lot of time in the kitchen, then you would love the Instant Pot (in this post, we will be referring it as ‘IP‘)!
I admit I was skeptical of the IP reviews when it first came into the market. At first, I thought it was just another kitchen trend that people would outgrow in the next few years. But man, I’m wrong!
When we finally got one, I can’t help but experiment with it! So far, I had successful outcomes with meatloaves, chicken soup, thawing frozen beef, spaghetti, lo mein noodle soup, hardboiled eggs, and my favorite, chili.
Yesterday, we were tight on time for dinner. I don’t have time to make an elaborate meal, so I decided to make another Instant Pot chili.
I was quite nervous about how it would turn out as I didn’t really follow a recipe. It’s another ‘dump it and we’ll see how it goes’ kind of cooking. Well, it turned out really well!
Ingredients to make Instant Pot Lentils Chili with Mushroom
To make this lentils chili in the Instant Pot, you’ll need the following:
- White onion
- Red lentils
- Baby bella mushrooms
- Tomato paste
- Crushed tomatoes (I use the fire-roasted variety)
- Seasonings: ground chili, ground cumin, Italian seasoning, smoked paprika powder, salt and pepper
How to make this comforting Instant Pot Lentils Chili with Mushroom
Here’s the step-by-step process on how to make red lentils and mushroom chili in your Instant Pot:
Step 1. Start with the Sauté option.
Wait for your IP to display ‘Hot’ before you start adding olive oil and sautéing the onion and garlic.
Step 2. Add the tomato paste, lentils, and spices.
Once the onion slices are translucent, start adding the tomato paste, dry lentils, and spices.
Step 3. Add the crushed tomatoes, water, mushrooms, salt, and pepper.
Pour the crushed tomatoes, water, sliced mushrooms, and season it with salt and pepper. Give it a good stir to keep lentils from sticking at the bottom and burning.
Step 4. Set your Instant Pot to High Pressure for 7 minutes.
It may take several minutes for your IP to start building the right temperature and pressure. You’ll know when the 7 minutes high pressure-cooking time has started when you hear a beeping sound.
Step 5. Once done, let the pressure release naturally for about 10 minutes and manually release the remaining pressure.
If you’re new to using Instant Pot, please follow the instructions carefully when releasing the pressure manually.
Step 6. If your chili is too thick, you may add more water, adding about a quarter of cup at a time. If you’re adding vegetables, you may add them at this point.
Give it a good stir and then simmer it for 7 minutes by selecting the Sauté option.
Step 7. Stir well before serving.
You may serve this with sour cream (or plain Greek yogurt), green onion, and cheese. Enjoy!
Instant Pot Lentils Chili with Mushroom
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 medium-sized white onion chopped
- 1 1/2 dry cups organic red lentils
- 2 cups baby bella mushrooms sliced
- 8 oz organic tomato paste
- 1 28-oz can crushed tomatoes
- 4 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 3/4 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika powder
- 4-5 cups water
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp pepper
- Select the Saute option of your Instant Pot. Select 15 minutes for the time.
- Once your Instant Pot displays 'Hot,' add the olive oil and saute the onion and the garlic.
- When the onion slices are translucent, add the tomato paste, dry lentils, and the spices (chili powder, cumin powder, Italian seasoning, and smoked paprika powder). Mix well.
- Add the crushed tomatoes, water, mushrooms, salt, and pepper. Stir well to keep the lentils from sticking at the bottom of the pan and burning.
- Close the lid and choose the High Pressure or Chili option. Select 7 minutes for the time.
- Once done, naturally release the pressure for about 10 minutes and then manually release the remaining pressure.
- Open the lid. If the chili is too thick for you, add more water, adding a quarter of a cup at a time. If you're adding vegetables, add them in the mixture. Give it a good stir and then close the lid.
- Let it simmer for 7 minutes by choosing the Saute option.
- Stir before serving. This chili is best eaten when warm.
Nutrition FactsRead our nutrition disclaimer here. 209 calories/serving (about 1.5 cups/serving)
If you’ve tried this, please let me know how it goes! 🙂
Our Fun Fit Fam is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.