This post contains affiliate links, which means I may earn a commission when you purchase through my links, at no added cost to you!
This Quinoa Fried “Rice” is a healthier take on Chinese-style fried rice. It’s tasty, filling, but super easy to make!
Whenever I’m craving for some good carbs, this Quinoa Fried “Rice” pops in my mind. It reminds me so much of the Chinese-style fried rice our family used to have on Sundays.
Since it’s made with quinoa and not rice, this dish has higher fiber and protein content.
As quinoa is naturally bland-tasting, I seasoned it with a little amount of soy sauce to add more flavor. To add more bulk and nutrition to it, I added a mix of chopped vegetables, uncured turkey bacon, and an egg.
How to Make Quinoa Fried “Rice”
Step 1. Cook the quinoa.
I follow this simple tutorial on how to cook fluffy quinoa. Set it aside.
Step 2. Sauté with the remaining ingredients.
Over medium heat, sauté the white onion, garlic, chopped vegetables, and chopped turkey bacon.
Once the vegetables are halfway cooked, add the quinoa. Season with soy sauce, pepper, and salt (if needed). Mix well.
Step 3. Add the egg.
Make a small well in the middle of the quinoa mixture and crack an egg. Mix everything together.
Simmer for about 3-5 minutes or until the egg is fully cooked.
Making Quinoa Fried “Rice” With Frozen Vegetables
If all you have are frozen vegetables, you can use that in lieu of the fresh ones. Here’s a video showing you how it’s done:
Let me know if you’ve tried this recipe and if you did, please don’t forget to leave a review! 🙂
Quinoa Fried “Rice”
- 2 tsp olive oil extra virgin
- 1/3 cup white onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1/3 cup carrots chopped
- 1/2 cup green peas
- 3 slices uncured turkey bacon chopped
- 2 tsp low sodium soy sauce
- 1 large egg
- 86 grams white quinoa measured dry
- Cook the quinoa according to package instructions. Set aside.
- Over medium heat, saute the white onion in olive oil. Once translucent, add the garlic, chopped bacon, and vegetables.
- Once the vegetables are halfway cooked, add the cooked quinoa. Season with soy sauce, salt (if needed), and pepper.
- Create a well at the center of the quinoa mixture and crack the egg. Mix everything together.
- Let it simmer for a few minutes or until the egg is fully cooked.
Nutrition InformationPlease read our Nutrition Disclaimer here. This recipe yields 2 servings. 363 calories/serving Total Fat 13.4 g | Sat. Fat 3 g | Cholesterol 116 mg | Sodium 631 mg | Carb. 41.9 g | Fiber 5.8 g | Sugar 5.1 g | Protein 19.5 g
Our Fun Fit Fam is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.