This Sardines Pasta recipe is a healthy way to use the canned sardines in your pantry. It’s tasty and it’s super easy to make!
Some people feel intimidated with canned sardines. I used to be that way. That is why, in the past, I only eat sardines the way my family eat them – with eggs and rice.
Things changed when I dined into this cafe and tried their pasta with sardines.
It was so good that I find myself craving for it the following day. Instead of eating out, I decided to try it in our kitchen.
It turned out really well that I saved the recipe and re-created it recently.
Ingredients for this Pasta de Sardine
You only need a few ingredients for this canned sardines recipe:
- olive oil
- red onion
- canned sardines in water
- spaghetti pasta (I use chickpea spaghetti for this)
- pitted olives
- Seasonings: salt and pepper
- Optional add-ons: chili flakes or hot shot red and black pepper blend, capers, and lemon juice.
How to Make Sardines Pasta
Step 1. Cook the pasta according to package instructions.
Turn off the heat once the pasta is al dente. Drain and set it aside.
Step 2. Over medium heat sauté the onion and the garlic in a pan with olive oil.
Step 3. Once the onion is translucent, add the sardines.
Finely or roughly break the sardines.
I like having huge chunks of sardines in my pasta so I just roughly break them apart.
Step 4. Add the cooked pasta.
Add the cooked pasta, season it, and mix everything together. If adding chili flakes, capers, and lemon juice, you may add them at this point.
Step 5. Garnish with olives.
If you made this recipe, I’d love to know how it goes! You may drop your questions or feedback in the comment section below.
Sardines Pasta Recipe
- 1 tsp olive oil extra virgin
- 1/4 cup red onion chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 cans of sardines in water drained
- 190 g chickpea spaghetti (measured dry)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/4 cup sliced and pitted olives
- 1/4 tsp chili flakes
- 2-3 tbsp capers
- 2-3 tsp lemon juice
- Cook the pasta according to package instructions.
- Once the pasta is al dente, remove from heat and drain. Set aside.
- Over medium heat, saute the onion and garlic in a pan with olive oil.
- Once the onion is translucent, add the sardines. Finely or roughly break them into chunks.
- Add the cooked pasta and season it with salt and pepper. You may also add the optional add-ons at this point – chili flakes, capers, and lemon juice.
- Mix the pasta and the sardines mixture well.
- Turn off the heat and garnish with olives.
Nutrition InformationRead our nutrition disclaimer here. 475 calories/serving
Our Fun Fit Fam is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.