This post contains affiliate links, which means I may earn a commission when you purchase through my links, at no added cost to you!
Start your morning with this warm and filling bowl of Savory Steel Cut Oats. Cooked in chicken broth, this steel cut oats recipe will be your next comfort breakfast food.
This Savory Steel Cut Oats recipe is inspired by my one of my favorite comfort foods – arroz caldo.
Arroz caldo is a Philippines rice and chicken dish. Typically cooked with ginger and served with hardboiled egg and scallions, arroz caldo is very popular among Filipinos.
What makes arroz caldo different from other rice recipes is that it’s usually eaten with lots of black pepper, citrus (like calamansi) and fish sauce.
Steel Cut Oats with Umami Flavor
To mimic the taste of arroz caldo, I cooked the steel cut oats in chicken broth with white onion and garlic. Once cooked, I topped it with the shredded chicken and of course, served it with black pepper, lemon juice, and fish sauce.
If you’d like to make it very close to the Philippines’ arroz caldo, you may want to add ginger and top it with hardboiled egg and fried garlic.
Ingredients for Making Savory Steel Cut Oats
To make this delicious savory steel cut oats, you will need the following:
- Chicken breast
I use frozen skinless and boneless chicken breast for this recipe but feel free to use fresh chicken and whatever chicken cuts you have on-hand.
- Chicken paste
To bring out the chicken flavor, I added a small amount of chicken paste in cooking the chicken.
- Steel cut oats
Please don’t mistake this as old-fashioned rolled oats or other types of oats. Steel cut oats have a different texture and usually, take longer to cook.
- White onion
- Salt and pepper
- Thinly-sliced ginger (optional)
- For serving: extra black pepper, fish sauce, lemon or lime, hardboiled egg (optional)
How to Make Savory Steel Cut Oats
I made this dish using my Instant Pot but you can definitely cook this on a stovetop.
Step 1. Cook the chicken breast.
Add 3 cups of water in the Instant Pot and dilute the chicken paste. Add the chicken breast and cook for 10-12 minutes using high pressure (I use frozen chicken slices for this recipe. If using fresh chicken slices, shorten the cooking time by 5 to 7 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 165F).
Release naturally for 5 minutes and manually release the remaining pressure.
Step 2. Shred the chicken and cook the steel cut oats.
Once the chicken is fully cooked, remove and shred it. Set aside.
Add the steel cut oats, white onion, garlic, and ginger (if using). Season with salt and pepper.
Cook for 10 minutes on high pressure. Release naturally for 5 minutes and manually release the remaining pressure.
Step 3. Stir in the shredded chicken and serve with scallions, black pepper, lemon or lime juice, fish sauce (optional), and hardboiled egg (optional).
This is best eaten when warm. Top it with scallions, extra black pepper, lime or lemon juice, fish sauce (optional), and hardboiled egg (if using).
Savory Steel Cut Oats (Using Instant Pot)
- Instant Pot
- 3 cups water
- 1.5 tsp Better Than Bouillon chicken paste
- 20 oz *frozen boneless, skinless chicken breast (see the Notes if cooking fresh chicke slices)
- 1 dry cup steel cut oats
- 1 cup white onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- lemon or lime juice
- fish sauce
- hardboiled egg (totally optional if you want to add more protein)
- Add 3 cups of water to the Instant Pot and dilute the chicken paste.
- Add the frozen chicken slices. Close the Instant Pot, making sure that it's sealed. Select High Pressure and set the timer at 10 minutes.
- Once the 10 minutes cooking time is done, naturally release the pressure for about 5 minutes then manually release the remaining pressure. Check the chicken's internal temperature, making sure it's 165F.
- Remove the chicken from the Instant Pot and shred them. Set aside.
- Add the steel cut oats in the Instant Pot, together with the onion, garlic, and ginger (if using). Season with salt and pepper. Cook it at High Pressure for 10 minutes.
- Once the 10-minute cooking time is over, naturally release the pressure for about 5 minutes and manually release the remaining pressure.
- Stir in the shredded chicken and serve with extra black pepper, scallions, lemon or lime juice, fish sauce (optional), and hardboiled egg (optional)
Nutrition InformationRead our nutrition disclaimer here. 140 cal/serving Serving size is about 1/2 cup. Total Fat 2.3 g | Sat. Fat 0.3 g | Cholesterol 43.3 mg | Sodium 358 mg | Carb. 9.8 g | Fiber 0.6 g | Sugar 1.4 g | Protein 17.3 g .
Our Fun Fit Fam is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.