These skinny Hawaiian Chicken Kabobs are packed with flavor but light in calories. They’re the perfect entrees for your summer BBQ parties!
These healthier Hawaiian Chicken Kabobs are on our family’s favorite list. The marinade, made from pineapple juice, low sodium soy sauce, brown sugar alternative, and ketchup, makes the chicken meat tender.
It’s pack with flavor, creating that ideal combination of light sweetness and tang.
You will love these Hawaiian Chicken Kabobs as they’re so easy to make. The best part? They’re light in calories and sugar! One serving of this chicken kebab only has 339 calories and 5 g of sugar.
Hawaiian Chicken Kabobs in the Oven (Roasting and Broiling)
Unlike the conventional kabobs, these chicken kabobs are cooked in the oven.
I roasted the kabobs for the first 10 minutes at 375 degrees Fahrenheit and broiled them for 5 more minutes. This gave the kabobs a charred look but still perfectly tender on the inside.
Hawaiian Chicken Kabobs Ingredients
For the chicken kabob marinade, you’ll need the following:
- no sugar-added pineapple or tropical fruit juice
- low sodium soy sauce
- brown sugar alternative (I use Swerve)
- sugar-free ketchup
For the skewers, you’ll need:
- red onion
- bell peppers
- lean chicken breast
How to Make Hawaiian Chicken Kabobs in the Oven
Step 1. Make the marinade.
In one bowl, mix the ingredients for the marinade – the pineapple juice, soy sauce, brown sugar alternative, ketchup, and minced garlic.
Save a third cup of the marinade for later.
Step 2. Chop the chicken breast and soak in the marinade.
Chop the chicken breast into cubes, about 1 1/2-inch, and soak them in the marinade for at least 4 hours (best if done overnight).
Step 3. Pre-heat your oven and prepare your baking pan.
Pre-heat your oven at 375 degrees Fahrenheit. While waiting, prepare your baking pan. Cover it with foil for easy clean-up and lightly brush it with olive oil.
Step 4. Chop the red onion and bell peppers.
Chop the red onion and bell peppers into bite-sized pieces, about the same size as the chicken breast.
Step 5. Thread your peppers, onion, and chicken into the skewers.
Alternately thread the peppers, onion, and chicken into the skewers. Transfer to the baking pan and brush with olive oil before placing in the oven.
If you’re using wooden skewers, soak them in the water for 30 minutes before using. This will keep them from burning to a crisp.
Step 6. Thicken the saved marinade.
Over low to medium heat, thicken the marinade you saved. Stir constantly to keep it from burning. Set aside.
Step 7. Broil after roasting.
Once the roasting time is up, baste the kabobs with the prepared sauce (see Step 6). Return to the oven and broil for 3-5 minutes until you achieve the desired charred look.
Check the internal temperature of the chicken, making sure it’s 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
Brush with the remaining sauce before serving.
Hawaiian Chicken Kabobs Sides
These Hawaiian chicken kabobs can be paired nicely with several sides, including wild rice, quinoa, nicely baked or steamed sweet potatoes, or corn on the cob. You can also eat them with your favorite greens. We love pairing them with brussels sprouts and broccoli.
If you made this, please let me know how it goes by rating this recipe!
Skinny Hawaiian Chicken Kabobs
For the Hawaiian chicken kabobs marinade:
- 1/4 cup no sugar added pineapple juice
- 1/3 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1/3 cup sugar-free ketchup
- 1/4 cup brown sugar substitute
- 5 cloves garlic minced
For the skewers:
- 3 large boneless, skinless chicken breast (about 1.8 lbs)
- 2 large bell peppers
- 1/4 of a large red onion
- 2 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- Make the marinade by mixing all the ingredients in a bowl. Save a third cup of it for later.
- Chop the chicken breast into bite-sized pieces, about 1 1/2-inch. Soak in the marinade for at least 4 hours (best if done overnight).
- Chop the red onion and bell peppers into bite-sized pieces, about the same size as the chicken.
- Pre-heat your oven at 375 degrees Fahrenheit and prepare your baking pan. Cover it with foil for easy clean-up. Lightly brush the pan with olive oil.
- Alternately thread the bell peppers, onion, and chicken into the skewers. Transfer to the baking pan. Brush the kabobs with a little bit of olive oil and roast for 10 minutes.
- While waiting for the kabobs to get cooked, thicken your saved marinade in a saucepan. Set aside.
- After the 10-minute cooking time is up, baste the skewers with the prepared sauce. Put back in the oven and broil for 3-5 minutes until you achieve the desired charred look.
- Check the chicken's internal temperature, making sure that it's 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Brush the chicken kabobs with the sauce before serving.
Nutrition InformationRead our nutrition disclaimer here. 339 calories/serving (1 skewer/serving) Total Fat 12.3 g | Sat. Fat 2.8 g | Cholesterol 135 mg | Sodium 778 mg | Carb. 20.9 g | Fiber 1.4 g | Sugar 5 g | Protein 45.2 g
Our Fun Fit Fam is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.